Friday, April 22, 2011

War Music, Part I

I warned you all that I'd be writing about music. You should have listened.

I should explain at this point that my music taste is somewhat... eccentric. I could rattle off a list of my favorite bands that would positively baffle most people. Is that even a band? Where are they from?

However, I believe it's a good thing for people to broaden their horizons. In the area of music, that's something I do constantly. You might say it's a bit of an obsession. Music for writing, music for concentrating, music to get hyped up for this, that, and the other. As I mentioned yesterday, it's pretty bizarre to me that I've never written about music in this blog before, but there's time to remedy that, at least.

Five songs I've been spinning today to get my mind in the right place for derby mayhem tomorrow:

1. "Valkyries," Amberian Dawn - A song that talks about the mythical Valkyries. For those of you not up on your Norse mythology, they are women warriors who would fly over the battlefield choosing which warriors would die. Could anything be more badass than that?

Favorite lyrics: "Shieldmaidens ride the wolves in the sky with ravens
scouting the battleground for souls of slain heroes.

Choosers of slain.

Valkyries ride through the night sky
singing fierce battle-cries,
Valkyries, choosers of slain, come ride their wolves!"

2. "Voittamaton," Villielain - Another fine product of Finland, who I shall ever maintain puts out the finest rock music there is. Not only are there amazing coloratura soprano vocals (in a metal song), the chorus translates as "I am, I am, I am now invincible."

3. "Wings of Darkness," Tarot - Yet another Finnish band, and one of my favorites. Old-style power metal in another song about how Vikings will kick your teeth in and use your skull for a hat. I seem to find that metaphor rather inspiring this week, but then again, what's more inspiring than some of the most feared warriors in the history of the planet? That's right. Raise your sword.

Favorite lyrics: "No place is safe from us in underworld of sky
Live on the edge, looking danger into the eye"

4. "Wreak Havoc," Angelspit - Angelspit is a relatively new acquisition of mine, but I don't really know how I lived without them. Crazy, dark, industrial, hard - and I love it. This song in particular helps me get ready to play derby, because it reminds me of what I said yesterday: my aspiration to one day be the Cthulhu of jammers.

Favorite lyrics: "Right now right now RIOT NOW
WREAK HAVOC
Right now right now RIOT NOW
UNLEASH HELL!"

It's impossible not to yell along.

5. "Sturm & Drang," KMFDM - It's always hard for me to pick a favorite KMFDM song, but this week, this is it. It's driving and aggressive, the mood I need to be in for a good game of derby.

Favorite lyrics: "You make and break your own restrictions
You write and prove your own revisions
You become new

You sweat and bleed pure fascination
You thrive upon disintegration
You break through

The truth the lies all fabrications
Only you control your destination
You are what you do"

A perfect reminder of those goals I set yesterday, and a ridiculously awesome song to boot.

So that's my five - this time around. Be sure to post and let me know if you found some new bands from my list. You can also let me know if you absolutely hated the songs, but remember, I'm all hyped up. I may hurt you. ;)

Good night, and may Quad bless your travels this bout weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment